Thursday, May 21, 2015

A Dress For Summer...

I almost forgot that I made this dress!  It was about a month ago during a mini heat wave we had here on California's Central Coast.
That was the last time we had any heat or sun.  I've been wearing my winter wardrobe ever since.  Not that I mind, it's my favorite type of clothing.


The pattern is Marcy Tilton's  Little French Housedress.  I think I've made 4 or 5.  I wear them with leggings.  The fabric is from Marcy's collection.  It's a lightweight linen with a very pronounced print...yes, I'm still trying to work through all those prints I bought.

This was difficult to lay out.  I couldn't figure out how the print should be placed.  In the end I had just enough fabric to make it work this way...and only this way.  Took at least twice as long to lay out as it did to sew it!

I'm working on several jewelry projects and have drafted a tunic from a ready-to-wear garment that I've made a wearable muslin from.  I've just gotta get them photographed and then I'll show you.

Until then, sew on!

8 comments:

  1. Interesting and gorgeous! The fabric placement really worked out well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember seeing this fabric on Marcy's site and wondering how it would look made up. I love what you've done with it! I like how the darker fabric is at the waist/center, and the lighter at the neck, sleeves and hem. The lighter fabric will draw the eye up to your face. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've made great use of the print. It's exciting and dangerous and could so easily be mucked up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, I was ready to give you credit for painting the fabric, too! The placement is PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am gobsmacked. I would not have guessed that pattern at all; it has stumped me as to how to make it work for me. And this is just beautiful.
    Weather question: cloudy but no rain? Seattle has been cloudy and without rain for about a month. This isn't fair, dangit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your version of the French housedress! The fabric just makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely version of the French housedress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gayle did you adjust the pockets? When I made the dress, the pockets are down around my knees and no way can I use them easily. Love this piece, by the way!

    ReplyDelete