Saturday, October 11, 2014

Ooh-la-la~Garters!

In March I had the great pleasure of visiting Marcy Tilton's Art Barn, the home base of her online fabric store.  It takes several hours to get there, it's way the heck out in the sticks!

As you can imagine, my sewing pals and I were in pig heaven; scooping up all kinds of fabrics and dreaming about how to use them.  You could hardly fit our combined booty in the huge SUV we drove up in!  

One of my really shameless picks was a quilted, shiny black fabric.  The composition was either not available or I can't remember, it's some type of synthetic.  It is shot with tiny strands of silver that you almost can't see.  It's not that I needed this fabric, it's not an everyday kind of fabric.

The minute I saw it I thought of one of my favorite Marcy patterns, V8709, a pattern I go to often.  I could see it made into a longer vest from this pattern.  I had seen one that Marcy made several years ago and thought it looked great.

I'm sorry to say that Vogue either discontinued this pattern or it is out of stock.  I thought they had discontinued it but the site now says, "out of stock", whatever that means.

I've made this several times in various weights and lengths.  It was originally a shorter jacket/shirt which I have lengthened for coats, coat dresses and now a vest.



I like that the upper back is cut on the bias, giving it a bit of give and some variation in the design.



I bought this garter belt closure tape in a wonderful warehouse type fabric store in San Jose, Fabrics R Us.  You never know what you're going to find there.  I hope this stuff is there the next time I go because I want MORE!



One of the things I love about this pattern is the pocket design.  These guys not only hold everything you would need for an evening out but they add so much contour and shape to the garment.  



If you can ever lay your hands on this pattern I wholeheartedly recommend you buy it.  So versatile.

I'm having fun wearing this.  When people see the garter closure they do a double take...then I blush.

18 comments:

  1. Goodness, gracioius, Gayle! This is fabulous.

    I can visualize you wearing this. I have this pattern (hooray) and keep looking at it. Now I think it's next.

    The closures are the best. Just perfect for the fabric and the pattern. You are so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg this is weird, I just took this fabric out of the stash today-bought it from Marcy some time ago and I was trying to figure out what I was going to use it for! What number is that pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those garters! I'm sure this style looks great on you. I made a muslin of it some time ago and found the peplum/pockets were very unflattering on my figure. They added width right where I don't need it added. I've seen so many cool permutations of this pattern, I wish it worked for me. Oh well. I'm glad it's been a good one for you. This vest is a smart marriage of pattern and fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! I can see why you had to buy the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gayle this is a WONDERFUL vest. I'd love to see it on you to see where the pockets land. I'm tall and feel I'd need to lengthen the pattern and wonder how you did it. It looks daunting to me. Any tips? Did you drop the waist then add on length at the bottom too? Whatever, it's a stunning piece. Also love the previous vest. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "pig heaven" - ha! Well this is just another knock out of the park, Gayle! i have to admit these types of clothes have a special place in my heart - chic, tasteful, just on the edge of expected.....ohwaitasecondthoseareGARTERCLIPSonthere!!!!! heeheehee! Even better such a useful piece in our NorCal winters, no need to wait for a special occasion to wear this slamdunk piece!

    I can't believe i forgot to comment on your last piece, flat out scrumptious. That fabric is just pure wonderfulness; but i think people often don't realize how such a statement fabric can require much more attention in order to create a garment that shows it off, while not being boring in the other aspects (silhouette, details, closures) and also practical/flattering to wear. I'm blown away by how well you brought all those elements together in your 'wild thang' vest, i've been studying it to glen what ideas i can on how you did it.

    Thank you for sharing with us and have fun being best-dressed in the town!!! steph

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Thanks. I am glad I live in a world where people make this stuff and I can pin the photos and look at them over and over again. You are most excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You realise that you no have women all over the world looking for garter clips!!! My all time favourite from your wearable art gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! I must dig out that pattern and do a rift on your vest asap. You did a splendid job of marrying pattern with fabric --and the garter clips--Oh Lord. Brilliant. Just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh la la, Gayle! I did not recognize this pattern, so I googled it. I've made it twice! This is NOT a pattern that works on me, but WOW, it's a GREAT version and I can really see that it works great for you!

    That garter closure. LOLOL. Inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  11. O.M.G.....this vest is FABULOUS,!, not to mention the garter clips...IN BLACK. I feel a respectful knock-off coming on...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love both this vest and your last one. I would never have guessed your vest came from that pattern - an amazing interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohmygoodness LOVE! lovelovelove - EVERYthing about this from the fabric to the garter belt closures - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want one! Your creativity and skills are mad!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is SO good! everything about this garment sings, and I love it, a gem, a masterpiece and very wearable. 5 stars, Gayle!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Garter clips - what a great idea - you may have started a trend -I'm going to look out for them now!

    The jacket is stunning, different but still chic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You had me at the garter clips. LOL What a beautiful alternative use. This is a happy, flirty garment. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete