Monday, August 25, 2014

Wild Thang....I think I love you!

Last March, while taking a mini class with Diane Ericson in her wonderful Ashland studio, we were lucky enough to meet her son, Miles Frode.  He's a multi-talented man.  He paints, writes poetry, performs his poetry (check him out on UTube) and is a fantastic teacher.

He gave us little lesson on his method of painting canvas for garments.  And, he brought in several canvases for us to look over and purchase.  I swooped down on three large ones and held on tight until I figured out what they wanted to be. 


Katherine Tilton's B5891 won.  I made the jacket without sleeves because I love this shape so much.  This is my third time making it, first time in a vest though.  I would have made a jacket but I didn't have enough fabric.

I'm so in love with this painting, er, vest!  It's true wearable art and what a beautiful canvas it will be when I wear it.  Just about any color will pair nicely with this.  His colors are bold but earthy, saturated and complex.  I'm thrilled.




I auditioned several buttons at my local fabric store,  Hart's Fabrics.  I wanted something that would stand up to the art but not compete with it.  These buttons are about 2" square and come in all kinds of great colors.  These are a dark taupe.

I didn't want to mar the canvas by making gigantic buttonholes so I made loops from old silk cording in a dusty smudgy pink.  Both of these colors; the buttons and the cording have their own integrity and richness without standing out.

I faced the collar with a cotton net that I got from Marcy Tilton at a DOL a long time ago.  I wonder if she still has some?  I've used it so much I'm out and would love to re-stash.  It feels and looks like it's vintage.  Very low-key and textural.  I felt I had to face the canvas on the back of the collar and this was the least obtrusive fabric I could find.  I'm hell-bent to use what I have these days!



The pattern calls for inseam pockets but I thought they would be too bulky so I made ones that are sewn on, single layer.  The facing is the same fabric I used to face the collar.

I left most of the edges raw and used a cover stitch at the edge to finish it a bit.




The back had a place where the painting was a bit sparse so I used another piece of the canvas and patched it on the hem.




I'm particularly fond of this side.  Wish I could see it more when I'm wearing it.



A little close up.


And another close up.


Thank you, Miles!  I'm going to wear this to the fashionART Santa Cruz fashion show on Sept. 20th here in Santa Cruz.

20 comments:

  1. I would be agonizing for months over how to cut each part of the pattern on this kind of artistic cloth. Kudos for being brave - it turned out really well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a gorgeous vest. Brava to you and Bravo to Miles. A wonderful collaboration of two minds and creative spirits.Well three, if you factor in Katherine as well. I love that pattern too and have made it up a couple of times very successfully. You've inspired me to make a vest. Now I'll have to get busy looking through my stash.
    Thanks always
    Vancouver Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wild & I LOVE your vest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous. I hope to see that piece in person in June.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's fantastic! I am so inspired! The idea of using a coverstitch made a great edging. I never thought of using the coverstitch on something other than a knit. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A work of art for both artists - and you truly are an artist - beyond wonderful - WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! I had yardage like that, friend made it from sheeting, took years to figure out what to make of it (so kids, don't always toss old stash!) and it turned into the Miyake 1309 as a dress. Now I need to use what's left of summer to make some of my own, and I'm stealing your colourway! Sue me! And thanks in advance, this is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gayle, Gayle, Gayle! You have gone and made a Masterpiece!!!!! You have done Miles (beautiful) work proud!!!! I am swooning over here.
    --shams

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is just amazing--you will love it forever! and what a compliment to Miles' work, too.

    Bravissima!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is amazing! Fabulous fabric and I've also made up that pattern numerous times. You've encouraged me to make it as a vest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely beautiful! This is the perfect pattern for the painted canvas. Just stunning. I like your use of netting/mesh fabric to line the collar and edge the pockets.
    A really stellar garment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You make everything groovy, wild thing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. At this point in time I only wear clothes but I am always looking for wearable-art - bull's eye on this garment!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to purchase the pattern. Please let me know if it is available. Robin.sullivan@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is beautiful! Any idea what kind of paints Miles used? it looks so soft. I'm always worried the painted parts will just sit on top of the fabric and make it stiff. This looks like it dyed the fabric. The colors are so rich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miles uses a combination of Jacquard textile paints, DynaFlo textile inks and, I believe, acrylics when needed. I think a lot of this piece was DynaFlo inks, they are thinner.

      Delete