Saturday, March 15, 2014

Sleeveless Tunic

Thanks to two sisters, Mary and Patty, some of my best sewing pals, I got a pattern for this sleeveless tunic.

I've been wondering what to call it, a vest or a sleeveless tunic.  Still wondering.

But here it is.  I decided to use scraps on the first one to try out the pattern.  The original tunic was bought by Patty and drafted by Mary.  She sent me a copy, an impeccable copy, and I got right to it.  I did a tissue fit and it needed a few tweaks.

Jenny, my friend and sewing mentor, helped me make some minor adjustments to the pattern.  I'm full busted and if I don't take out some fullness under the bust area it creates a shelf that makes me look huge.

She took a couple of tucks under the bust, sort of darts, and we just taped them down.  It worked well, as usual.  I always have to make that adjustment.  Sometimes it's more than can be eased into the garment so darts are needed but I prefer not to have them, if possible.


Black, grey and white always work in my wardrobe and those colors make up the bulk of my stash so I had lots to choose from.
So why not use a different fabric on each pattern piece?




Now that I have the pattern fitting well I'll make this again.

Thanks to Patty, Mary and Jenny!

15 comments:

  1. Nice mix and match piece. I love the pattern mix and especially the dot fabric on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous top. Everything to LOVE! Tell us more about the top – is it shingled or are all those pieces seamed together? It's a stunning pattern and you brought to the topmost best. Wonderful.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should have read "you brought IT to the topmost best". Would your friendly sisters/friends consider publishing this pattern?
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally love that top! What a great combination of fabrics. How nice that your friends would share the rub-off pattern with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do think that is a fabulous make! Would love to have a pattern like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Killer pattern and gorgeous outcome. Can one purchase this pattern or find a cheat sheet for the construction? What a lovely combination of patterns and motifs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll get out my pom poms and join your cheer squad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, Gayle! Though you must have it on top of another top as it looks sleeved. Kudos to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Found your blog via Marcy's post on your visit there this week. I am so jealous of the 5 of you, getting a couple of days playing with Diane! I don't have a community of like-minded sewists here in New England, so I'm often envious of the opportunities you west coast gals have.
    Love your design sense and style! Your skills are obviously top notch. I'm glad I've found your blog, as it will inspire my work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very inspiring-you're on my blog list,thanks to Marcy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How can I purchase this pattern? I love your color choices. This is a wardrobe staple. Please ask your friends for a link to the pattern.
    Thank You,
    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! What a great combination! Is this over a black turtleneck with sleeves like part of the back?
    Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I s it possible to get a copy of the pattern? I have been looking through your blog and have found my style...it is yours!!!! Ready to sew something!!!D0 you have a list of the patterns you use? Good work gelswood@aol.com

    ReplyDelete