Friday, June 28, 2013

Remade TShirts

I just returned from DOL-Sisters and, once again, it was so inspiring.  Being around a pack of women who are gathered to design and sew unusual garments is my power juice of choice.  I only worked on one thing this time.  Right now I'm really liking to GO SLOW and enjoy the process.

Who needs more clothes, right?  I don't have space in my closet now so making new things isn't so much about having something new to wear as it is the process of thinking about it, gathering the materials, designing it as I go and sewing it.  I'm addicted to this process.

Right now I'm so addicted to Diane Ericson's way of "making fabric" by taking pieces of fabric and sewing them into a piece of cloth, then draping them on my dress form to see what they want to be.

This piece started out as 5 used tshirts and some knit scraps.  My scraps are getting like Linus's blanket...smaller and smaller all the time.  After making the "fabric" I used the top of a tshirt pattern that fits me well and just draped the rest on the way to the hem.  I hand sewed a skinny piece of black knit in a spiral pattern on the back using perle cotton.  I used that hand stitched detail again on the neckline and at the hem.